Aaaand it’s finally finished!
(That hat she’s wearing? I also made it! Back in December, when I was still a n00b. A bigger n00b than I am now, I mean.)
I’m so glad that the vest actually turned out well. I was worried that it would be too big or too long or too awkward or … Well, you get the idea. However, it came out well! Of course, I made some mistakes here and there but they’re barely noticeable to the untrained eye. Besides, this is how you learn, right? Now I know what to do and what not to do the next time I make this vest. (And I will be making it again. It’s a nice vest!)
Next up on my agenda: Hey, Teach! cardigan. I’m nervous because it’s knit in pieces and then seamed together (and we remember how much I disliked seaming just the 3″ inches on the vest, right?) but it’s a really nice cardigan so I will power through it. Here’s what I have so far:
That’s the beginning of the back panel. Once that’s finished, there are the two front panels and the two sleeves. (Man, that’s a lot of pieces!) I racked my brain trying to figure out which cardigan to make for my boyfriend’s mother before I came across this one. I hope she likes it! (I’m aiming to have it finished by her birthday, April 1. I think I have plenty of time! What’s more nerve-wracking is the prospect of knitting a full-length sleeved cardigan for Alex by his birthday, April 13. Ack!)
I am thisclose to finishing my sister’s vest:
All that’s left is some seaming under the armholes (approximately 1.5″ under each arm) and ribbing around the neckline and the armholes. Unfortunately for me, I can’t seem to get the hang of the mattress stitch (which makes an invisible side seam). This is frustrating because I was easily able to graft the shoulder pieces together on my first attempt:
This seaming nonsense is driving me batty! I’ll take this opportunity, though, to walk away from the project and clear my head. Hopefully I’ll be more successful tomorrow. In the meantime, I’ll continue reading Pedaling Revolution: How Cyclists are Changing American Cities. (That book makes me pine something awful for a more bike-friendly Staten Island… and NYC in general.)
Yesterday’s snowstorm in NYC was blown way out of proportion. Yes, it snowed. It snowed a lot. But it was nothing when compared to the blizzard of 1996, where snow accumulation reached 30 inches in some areas. The snowstorm we experienced yesterday was nowhere near a blizzard — the greatest amount of snow fell in the Great Kills neighborhood of Staten Island, topping the charts at 17 inches. That’s really not so bad. Public schools were closed, though, and the city university system shut down at 12 PM (several individual colleges chose to keep their doors closed all day). As such, I didn’t have work and I couldn’t do much beside knit. However, there was some excitement around 10 o’clock last night:
I’ve known that I’ve had mice for a few weeks now but, for the life of me, I could not figure out how to get rid of them. I have a cat, after all, so why should I be worrying about ridding of the mice? As it turns out, Dixon is a lousy mouse catcher:
He’s more interested in chasing them and playing with them rather than attacking or killing them. However, precisely because I have Dixon, I didn’t know what commercial techniques I could use to get this problem under control. Glue traps, spring traps, “zap” traps, and rodenticide all seemed extreme and inhumane. So when Alex caught the mouse last night in a jar, I didn’t know what to do. After some time on the Internet, the only advice I found was to drown it. I couldn’t do it. I wouldn’t do it. This thing was too small (and, admittedly, too cute) to be disposed of in such a manner. So, instead, I braved the elephants and released this little field mouse into the woods behind my house.
This post is for you, little mouse. I hope you survived the 10 or so inches of snow out there… or became dinner for a wet, hungry street cat.