Pattern: Molly by Erin Ruth
Yarn: 180 yards of Manos del Uruguay Silk Blend (70% merino wool, 30% silk) in “Nickel”
Needles: US 4 (3.5 mm) and US 7 (4.5 mm)
Started: December 29, 2011
Finished: December 30, 2011
Notes & Modifications: See Ravelry
I had yarn left over from my mom’s shawl so I decided to make myself a hat. I have the hardest time knitting things for myself because I am so picky. I had actually knit another hat with this yarn but decided that I didn’t like it… so I ripped it all out and gave this pattern a go.
This hat was such a pleasure to knit! The pattern was written really well and I loved that the cable decreased into the crown. (I couldn’t believe that this was a free pattern, actually, because of the clever construction.) The only modification I made was to knit the brim in 1×1 rib for 1.5″ instead of 1″ because of my own preference for longer brims.
I think it turned out really well (albeit slightly too slouchy) and I hope to get a lot of use out of it. I haven’t really worn hats this winter yet because the weather has been so unpredictable: it’s 30°F one day and 60°F the next! Overall, though, this winter has been very temperate but I’m not complaining! It’s great biking weather so I don’t have to bundle up too much when commuting to work.