Sometimes, when I can’t find anything good to eat for breakfast, I make muffins! The best muffins I’ve ever made were orange cranberry muffins that I adapted from Noelle Miles Griggs’s Lemon Cranberry Muffins recipe on Allrecipes. Here’s what I use:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup soy milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- juice from ½ orange
- zest from ½ orange
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk, oil, applesauce, and orange juice & zest.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Pour batter into muffin cups, up to two-thirds of the way; sprinkle with almonds. Place pan into oven and turn up the temperature to 400°F (200°C). Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.